Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has used this year’s huge Caravan Camping Holiday Supershow to reveal its new Crafter Kampervan by Jayco.
Volkswagen Australia partnered with local recreational vehicle manufacturer, Jayco, to create its ultimate go-anywhere Campervan complete with all the usual amenities you might expect to find in your Airbnb.
The Crafter Kampervan range will be sold exclusively through the Volkswagen dealer network and is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
After two years in the making including extensive product testing at the Anglesea Proving Ground in Victoria, the Volkswagen Crafter Kampervan becomes the new halo vehicle in Volkswagen’s range that includes the Caddy California and Multivan California.
At 6.8 metres long and two metres wide, it’s also the largest vehicle in VW’s range.
From July this unique version of the LWB 4Motion Crafter will be available in three grades: called Kampervan, Kampervan Style and Kampervan all-terrain, the latter with specialised Seikel off-road parts like a 30mm lift kit.
With over 45 years’ experience in Australia building more than 220,000 RVs, Jayco is well positioned to customise the Crafter Kampervan with a fit-out exclusive to Volkswagen including necessities and mandatory mod cons.
- 4-Motion all-wheel drive
- Seating for four
- Sleeping for up to three
- Multiple dining and seating areas
- Fresh and waste water tanks
- Internal bathroom including sink, toilet and shower
- External shower
- Kitchen including two-burner gas cooktop, microwave, fridge, sink, fresh water tap, storage and bench space
- Reverse cycle air-conditioning
- TV and DVD audio system with internal and external speakers
- Lithium 120Ah house battery with supplementary 200W solar system
- Diesel heating
- Hot water system
- LED lighting inside and out
- External Fiamma awning
- WiFi extender
Powering the new Volkswagen Crafter Kampervan is VW’s 2.0TDI 410 bi-turbo making 130kW of power and 410Nm of torque, sent to all four wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. There’s a standard 75L fuel tank included
Crafter Kampervan standard specifications:
- 4t GVM upgrade
- HD suspension/shocks/stabilisers
- Mechanical Differential Lock
- Hill decent assist
- Black steel wheels
- Driver and front passenger swivel seats (includes seat cushion angle adjusters and four-way powered lumbar adjustment)
- Fold down handbrake
- Sliding left front window
- Passenger sliding door with interlock
- 270° opening rear barn doors
Kampervan Style adds
- Second battery c/off/relay monitor
- Rubber floor mats
- Light and sight package
- Heated Windshield
- Heated steering wheel
- Headlamp washer system
- LED headlamps and DRLs
- Fog lights with cornering function
- Lane-keep assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- ‘Discover Media’ navigation
- Optional two-tone paint and alloy wheels
Kampervan All-Terrain adds
- Lift kit +30mm
- Engine underbody protection
- AdBlue tank protection plate
- Rear differential protection plate
- Rear shock protection
- Steel wheels + off-road tyres
- Optional two-tone paint and snorkel
The standard Kampervan will be available in Solid (Candy White) and Metallic finish (Reflex Silver, Indium Grey), while the Style and All-Terrain versions can be ordered with two-tone paints (Candy White/Deep Ocean, Candy White/Cherry Red, Candy White/Mojave Beige Metallic).